A Holy Week Walk Poses Questions


Our happy band of pilgrims (the Churches Together on the Broads walking group)  walked from Walcott to Bromholm Priory.
Thomas Cromwell's Commissioners  went off with the piece of the True Cross that was kept there! Who knows what happened to it? Was it burned? Does it still sit in a Civil Servant's in-tray? But my question is this:

Question 1) If it is not there and once was, does it have a beneficial effect in the same way that Homeopathic medicine is meant to work?



Question 2) Among the ruins of the Priory we ate cold crossed buns and drank red wine. No words were said but there was thanksgiving and remembrance. Was it, do you think, Holy Communion?


Question 3 )
In Walcot Church I came upon a lovely momento mori. "Time flies!"  it seemed to say. Entirely suitable for the season!  But then, unknown to me, I got caught up in the great Norwich Diocese Easter Egg Hunt. Hidden on the back of the Rood Screen an egg. Should one be entertaining thoughts of Easter in Holy Week?


The black sheep were a reminder of my own tendency to go astray. The white lamb-  the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.

The primroses reminded me of "the primrose path that leads to the everlasting bonfire." Again highly suitable! But I couldn't escape the evidence of new life everywhere!





Then lunch at the pub - fish and chips - reminded me of breakfast on the beach and a light in the east!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Elmham

First Day of the Rest of My Life

A Candlemas Pilgrimage